[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Coil on the News

Subject:      Re: Tesla Coil on the News
       Date:  Fri, 30 May 1997 07:54:13 +1200
       From: "Malcolm Watts" <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
         To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

This sounds like a classic case of non-technical court staff making
judgements on something they know nothing about....

>   From: gweaver <gweaver-at-earthlink-dot-net>
>     To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>

> At 10:36 PM 5/26/97 -0500, you wrote: >Subject:  Tesla Coil on the
> News >  Date:   Mon, 26 May 1997 02:10:14 -0400 (EDT) >  From:
> Jeremy Bair <pwac-at-flinet-dot-com> >    To:  Tesla List
> <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>, Tesla-2 <tesla-2-at-emachine-dot-com> > > >Two days ago
> a friend woke me up at around 11:30 to tell me that he saw >some
> sort of Tesla Coil coming up on the news. So I got up and stuck a
> >blank tape in the VCR :) > >When I woke up the next day and played
> the story, it started out >informing >us of power company struggles
> with customers, one customer in >particular, >his name was Phillip
> Cambell of Tallahassee Florida (I don't expect any >other coilers
> here have seen the report, it was probably only run in >Florida,
> but I would like to be aware of anyone who saw it in or out of
> >Florida *please reply*). > >Basically what happened was FP&L
> (Florida Power And Light) cut this guys >power off because he
> wasn't paying his bills, so he decided to live >without consumer
> electricity. They never mentioned how he was currently >giving his
> house juice, but I take it he had some sort gas powered of
> >generator. > >The whole news report was stupid (in my opinion of
> course), they were >hinting (Although not directly implying) that
> he was trying to develop a >way to transport electricity wireless
> to move the power from land lines >to >the air.
>

> About 10 years ago there was an artical in Popular Science about a
> guy getting power from power lines that crossed his property.  He
> was using some type of large coil system to pick up the radiated
> power from the power lines.  The power company took the guy to
> court and tied to make him pay for the power of stop him from do it.
>  The judge ruled in the guys favor because the power companies own
> engineer testified that all power lines loose power. So the judge
> said its like recycling something that was lost. The guy is not
> stealing power he is recovering power that the power company lost.
> Sence he has no direct wire connection to the power lines he is not
> stealing power. And the power company can not prove he is drawing
> power from there wires with his system or prove how much power he
> is getting he is not stealing power.

The truth is that he was stealing power. The field surrounding the
lines is not a loss if it doesn't couple to something other than the
lines producing the field. Most of the transmission power is lost in
leakage at the insulators (corona and the like). Inductive energy is
lossless until a load is interposed.

Sorry about the reformat gone wrong,
Malcolm