[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

H2 driver

Subject: H2 driver
  Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 20:55:20 -0400 (EDT)
  From: richard hull <rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net>
    To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

All,

I just cobbled up my table top maggey driver to monkey around with some
ideas which may make maggey 13.  I am labeling this table model maggey
12.
I am using a Hydrogen thyratron 3C35 for the switch.  I am pulsing it at
1khz rate and its uses about 80-100 watts from the DC supply in this
mode.
I have the driver just running as a simple coil here now and I get about
4" spark when tuned to resonance (500khz) and approached with a grounded
rod.  It is bright and noisey (k=.55).  I am worried that it is still
too
high impedance a driver due to the high Q developed by an otherwise low
circuit!  The darned tube actually supplies current to the primary tank
for
1.6 usec (far too short-I think).  The coil, due to a large 12"X4"
toroid,
doesn't break out and a stub antenna 10 feet away collects the RF soup
into
an Oscope.  I count 50+ rings in the beautifully decremented envelope.
huge Q for this coupling! (by normal cogitatin').  I just have to work
on
the phased back to back idea.

A normal neon 60 ma 6KV AC tranny with a rotary gives about an 8" spark
at
160 watts.

The coil is a 10.5 diameter by 6" tall form wound with 20 ga. wire.  the
primary is RG 214 of 5 turns.  Cap is ~ .008ufd and the tap is at about
18-20uh.
"Sqwat and Hot".

I'll keep you folks up on this one.

Richard Hull, TCBOR