[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Twins

Subject:  Re: Twins
  Date:   Mon, 26 May 1997 13:47:35 -0400 (EDT)
  From:   richard hull <rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

At 10:49 PM 5/25/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Subject:       Twins
>       Date:   Sun, 25 May 1997 21:29:33 -0700
>       From:   Skip Greiner <sgreiner-at-wwnet-dot-com>
>         To:   tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>

>Hi All
>
>Several members on this list have successfully built twin TCs.
>
>Question: What would happen if one tried to use another secondary
>identical to the first and tuned exactly as the first except connected
>as follows? Suppose that instead of connecting the bottom of the driven
>secondary to ground, the bottom of the driven secondary is connected
>directly to the bottom of the second, undriven, secondary. Essentially
>one ends up with a full 1/2 wave secondary which is split in two pieces,
>but with the advantage that no ground counterpoise is required. The two
>1/4 wave secondaries would be placed an appropriate distance apart to
>allow discharges between the top toroids.
>
>Now that I am back I will be trying this, hopefully this week.
>
>Comments and flames would be appreciated.
>
>Skip

Skip,

I assume, the second "undriven secondary" means no primary linkage to
this
second system.  The stuff would spark, but power would be down due to
the
lack of flux linkage to the second system.  If the first driven system
were
grounded and tuned properly, a nearby grounded coil of exactly the same
resonant freq would really break out nicely provided it too were
grounded.
We did a lot of this type of thing in what we called "free resonance"
work
back in 1991 as we developed the magnifier systems here. the coupling
between the systems was more by direct(ground) and capacitive coupling
as
the mag coupling was truly 0.0

Richard Hull, TCBOR