[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Isotropic Capacity

Subject:      Re: Isotropic Capacity
       Date:  Mon, 26 May 1997 18:05:18 +1200
       From:  "Malcolm Watts" <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
         To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

Hello John, all,

<largish snip>
> The capacitance of the sphere is higher when isolated in space
> than when on the TC secondary coil. Do any coilers know why?
>
>   John Couture

We had this one out over a year ago. The coil is shielding part of
the sphere/toroid. I've now come to the conclusion based on
experiment and the large amount of data I've amassed that the
terminal should be seen as a solid extension of the resonator i.e.
you cannot view an isolated terminal in the way you would when it
is in close proximity to the coil.
     Ed Philips coined (to my knowledge) the term "mutual capacitance"
to describe this effect.
     To drive the point home even more firmly, try adding a flat
plate to the top of a toroid (so it doesn't overhang) and note the
(lack of) increase in capacitance.

Malcolm