[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Choke Resistor

Subject:   Choke Resistor
  Date:    Mon, 26 May 1997 05:48:40 -0700 (PDT)
  From:    gweaver <gweaver-at-earthlink-dot-net>
    To:    Tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

I found several large wire wound power resistors at the scrap
yard and bought them all for $1.50.  I have 4 that are rated
800 ohms .56 amps.  Sence these resistors are wire wound just
like a choke is wire wound they should work as chokes also.
I can use them a damping resistors and also as choke coils on
the high voltage terminals of my large transformer.  There is
only one problem, they are not round, they are not flat either,
they are oval shaped.  They measure 2" wide, 3/4" thick, 12"
long. Does anyone think the shape will be a problem and cause
them not to work as a choke.  If I had some test equipment I
could probably test them to see if they will work as chokes.
Has anyone tried using wire wound resistors as chokes?

Gary Weaver