[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Wire Guage Sizes

Subject:  Wire Guage Sizes
  Date:  Fri, 23 May 1997 23:04:51 +1000 (EST)
  From:  Rodney Davies <rgd872-at-anu.edu.au>
    To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

Hi all,

I'm wondering if there is a wire guage to secondary size
proportionality.

I guess to work out what wire guage you require depends on the H/D ratio
of the secondary as to be able to obtain a certain amount of turns to
cover a specific winding length.
Also, I guess it will depend on what amount of power you're using to
drive
the coil, ie higher energy levels would perhaps require a greater
thickness in wire diameter. Perhaps an example would be, say you're
using
somewhere between 1-2KVA you may want to use #24-#22 guage wire with a
secondary diameter of 3"-10".
If you're using somewhere between 10-15KVA you may want to use #16-#12
guage wire with a secondary diameter of 12" or greater...

Then there's secondary self-resonant frequency, inductance, capacitance
etc to take into consideration if you want a specific operation range
for
your coil.

I guess you can also work out by knowing the above parameters what
the height dimensions of the secondary are, what number of turns to
obtain
and what guage wire to use...

Hmmm, lot's of variables to consider, but to try an not to waist time or
money, a few small calculations and formulas couldn't go astray...

Am I on the right track?

Is there a set rule of thumb to use? some sort of calculation you can
do?

Thanks,

Rod.