[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: H/D Ratios

Subject:  Re: H/D Ratios
  Date:   Fri, 23 May 1997 14:34:07 -0400
  From:  "George W. Ensley" <erc-at-coastalnet-dot-com>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

>Dear List,
>           Please indulge me once again :)
>
>> I have seen several references to a physical 1/4 wavelength of wire
>> being used to wind a secondary. What is the 1/4 wave length based on?
>> Is it free space or based on some velocity factor? Is there some magic
>> to be had by striving for this.
>>
>> Based on no facts at all my next secondary will have a H/D ratio of PI.
>> It just seems right.

<< snip >>

>     Finally, it seems from the charting exercise (I haven't yet
>finished) that many coils come close to achieving this 1/4 wavelength
>long wire through pure serendipity - the choice of terminals in many
>cases appears to be entirely arbitrary as far as their capacitances
>go. However, some of the best coils (Richard Hull's Nemesis is a
>shining example) have such enormous toploads that the wire ends up
>being considerably shorter than the free-space 1/4 wavelength (and
>yet they still perform superbly).
>
>     I'd better stop there. I think I may have started writing a book.
>
>Other comments welcome,
>Malcolm

Thanks Malcolm,

As i expected you have made it clear.

Is there magic?                  May be!
Is it worth it pursuing?       Why not!

( I visualize)
If you tap on the end of a brass rod it will ring.
If you flex and release it then it will wobble.
If ring and wobble are the same frequency then
it's probably a sphere. I should make my coil
into a sphere.

May be it's all in the wire.

George....