[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Top Terminal Shape (braid primary)

Subject:  Re: Top Terminal Shape
  Date:   Wed, 21 May 1997 00:10:26 -0400 (EDT)
  From:   richard hull <rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

>Oh, BTW, employing any form of braided conductor as a coil is illegal
>don't you know.  I did it too on my Coronatron with RG-214 (double
>silvered braid).  At 2.8 kW CW the tank coil will run all day safely.
>At 6.5 kW CW it gets too hot in about 5 minutes and a cooldown is
>necessary.  I plan to replace it with 1/2 inch copper refrigeration
>tubing
>as soon as I win the lottery.  I plan to push this thing to at least
>15 kW CW.
>
>rwstephens

Robert,

I have used braid for years in small systems with no improvement when
going
to copper tubing.  The braid gets warm due to thermal insulation
(jacketing)
and reduced copper mass (thin wires cross linked).  The tubing appears
better and is better due to a octupling of the copper mass and total air
exposure on all surfaces.  The same losses occur, they are just masked.
ON
Nemisis, my 5/8" copper tubing primary got quite warm after protracted
runs
at 10KW.

For systems under 2KW, heavy coax shield is just fine for those systems
if
intermittently operated.  RG-214 is double shield braid which is silver
plated it works great up to 4KW.

Richard Hull, TCBOR