[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Reduceing noise

Subject:  Re: Reduceing noise
  Date:   Sun, 18 May 1997 20:39:49 -0500
  From:   "Robert W. Stephens" <rwstephens-at-headwaters-dot-com>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

> > snip
> > The first big coil I saw surprised the hell out of me. The spark gap
> > is quiet compared to what comes off the top. Am I right, am I wrong?
> > The gap certainly changes sound with coil tuning.
>
> David, how big was this coil? I've seen coils up to eight feet tall
> with 12 foot discharges and in all of them the spark gap was louder
> than the secondary discharge.

All,

On my MTC coil system operating outdoors, the 12 foot streamer walking
around the topload is about the same loudness as the sound from the
rotary break located in the base.  The wandering streamer however has a
unique sound which is pretty neat, and is subject to doppler shifts
and motion related audio phenomenon as it is a rapidly moving source.
It is the changing character of the streamer sound that makes it
easy to separate from the steady sound of the rotary.

When the coil is operated indoors and I then have ear protection on,
this
distinction is all but lost.

rwstephens