[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Secondary additions and corona breakout

Subject:  Re: Secondary additions and corona breakout
  Date:   Sat, 17 May 1997 21:05:11 +0500
  From:   "Alfred A. Skrocki" <alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

On Fri, 16 May 1997 09:36:16 -0400 (EDT) John Freau
<FutureT-at-aol-dot-com> wrote;

> Alfred,
>
> Interestingly, I don't coat or insulate my solder connections at
> all, I just make sure they're lying flat against the coil form.
> Max power input was 5 or 6kVA. I also try to leave a little space
> between the turns that are above and below to discourage breakdown
> to these other turns.

Like I said John, it was quite a few years ago (over 30) when I tried
to wind a coil out of several short sections of wire soldered
together and at that time it was a dismal failure with coronal
breakout at every solder joint. That was before I started to learn
what good Tesla Coil design was, so I could have made any number of
mistakes that all could have contributed to the results I got. Your
results compare well with what Richard Hull has told me, although he
prefers to cover the joints with epoxy. I am thinking of trying it
again with the knowledge that I have gained in over 30 years and see
what results I get. I am interested in the results because if we can
splice together many short lengths of wire to get the needed length
without concern for coronal leakage or secondary breakdown, then we
can all save money and used wire from disposed motors, transformers,
what have you, instead of having to pay sometimes inordinately high
prices for continous lenghts of wire.

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  -at- -at-  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki
                   alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com
                             .ooo0   0ooo.
                               \_)   (_/