[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Secondary additions and corona breakout

Subject:  Re: Secondary additions and corona breakout
  Date:   Fri, 16 May 1997 09:36:16 -0400 (EDT)
  From:  FutureT-at-aol-dot-com
    To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

><< > extra top sections if needed.  I have not had any problems with
 >> corona breakout even with bumpy solder joints.
 ---
> Interesting! quite a few years ago I tried winding a secondary made
 >of numerous short lengths of enameled wire. I soldered each joint and
> coated it with gliptol if I remeber correctly, any way I do
> distinctly remeber that when I powered up that coil I had corona
> break out at each and every solder joint. Granted I didn't saturate
> the windings in polyureathane as I do now but still I remeber having
> a dickens of a time trying to stop the coronal breakout, untill I
> finally scratched the whole idea and ever since I have only been
> using continous lengths of wire for my secondaries. Perhaps I should
>try it again and this time give the final coil several coats of
> polyureathane.

Alfred,

Interestingly, I don't coat or insulate my solder connections at all, I
just
make sure they're lying flat against the coil form.  Max power input was
5 or
6kVA.   I also try to leave a little space between the turns that are
above
and below to discourage breakdown to these other turns.

John Freau