[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

coil design

Subject:  coil design
  Date:  Fri, 16 May 1997 13:56:01 +0100
  From:  Joe Cummings <joecmn-at-globalnet.co.uk>
    To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

As I've become the proud owner of a 10Kv 50ma. neon
transformer, I'm getting down to some serious designing.

What I'd like to know from people are the following:-

Capacitors in series, or parallel to the high voltage
source?  My last effort was with the capacitor in parallel
to the neon transformer - in fact I didn't rea;ise that
the capacitor could be in series.

Alternating or direct HT source? My admittedly weak grasp
of theory suggests DC should be better, because some of
the charge on a capacitor would be neutralised at each
cycle of an AC current.

If DC, then would it be possible to use the rectifier
"sticks" from a TV voltage multiplier?

I would be grateful for some empirical data.

Have fun

Joe Cummings