[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: toroid

Subject:  Re: toroid
  Date:   Fri, 16 May 1997 01:42:02 -0400 (EDT)
  From:   richard hull <rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

At 09:31 AM 5/15/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Subject:  toroid
>  Date:   Thu, 15 May 1997 11:20:19 +0300
>  From:   Kenneth Aaron <kennetha-at-geocities-dot-com>
>    To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>

>Has anyone tried using the inner tube of a tire as a toroid ?
>
>the rubber should conduct (at such high voltages) ....
>
>comments anyone ?
>----------------------------
>Kenneth Aaron
>E-mail : kennetha-at-geocities-dot-com
>http://www.geocities-dot-com/SunsetStrip/8736/
>----------------------------
>
>Kenneth,

Yes!  I used several inner tubes in the early days on Nemesis.  It was
with
foil wrapped inner tubes that I found the great advantages in huge
terminals.  One big problem, my lab was unheated and the beautiful near
spun
appearance of all that foil in the summer air changed to the shriveled
nature of testicular skin on the cold winter days! (Air contracts when
cold)

 Next summer all was OK again, until one day a leak occurred and I came
out
with some of my coiler pals in the TCBOR to fire it up and I was greeted
by
what looked like a wilted flower as the toroid had completely deflated
and
had oozed down the secondary clinging lifelessly to the central wooden
web.

Yes, they work great if cover properly with foil, but be wary of
expansion,
contraction and leaks.

My largest inner tube toroid was a lager tractor inner tube about 56"
across
with a 13" cross section.  I loved it, until the above misfortune.  I
don't
use them any more.

Richard Hull, TCBOR