[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Secondary additions and corona breakout

Subject:      Re: Secondary additions and corona breakout
       Date:  Fri, 16 May 1997 09:02:31 +1200
       From:  "Malcolm Watts" <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
         To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

Alfred, John,

>   From:   "Alfred A. Skrocki" <alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com>
>     To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>

> On Wed, 14 May 1997 11:06:13 -0400 (EDT) John Freau
> <FutureT-at-aol-dot-com> wrote;
>
> >  Alfred,
> >
> > I regularly patch burned secondaries by soldering, and I also add
> > extra top sections if needed.  I have not had any problems with
> > corona breakout even with bumpy solder joints.
>
> Interesting! quite a few years ago I tried winding a secondary made
> of numerous short lengths of enameled wire. I soldered each joint and
> coated it with gliptol if I remeber correctly, any way I do
> distinctly remeber that when I powered up that coil I had corona
> break out at each and every solder joint. Granted I didn't saturate
> the windings in polyureathane as I do now but still I remeber having
> a dickens of a time trying to stop the coronal breakout, untill I
> finally scratched the whole idea and ever since I have only been
> using continous lengths of wire for my secondaries. Perhaps I should
> try it again and this time give the final coil several coats of
> polyureathane.

I have one prize coil wound with Litz wire (3" dia). The litz wire
was a bargain basement reel costing $5. Unfortunately, the reel had
two lengths on it which necessitated a solder joint about half way up.
The coil is heavily varnished and that joint has never given a
problem or issued corona. The coil was giving 3' sparks at the time a
crook cap set fire to it at the base.

Malcolm