[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Transformer (2500 volt)

Subject:     Re: Transformer (2500 volt)
      Date:  Wed, 14 May 1997 02:53:33 GMT
      From:  jim.fosse-at-bjt-dot-net (Jim Fosse)
        To:  Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

On Tue, 13 May 1997 03:10:29 -0500, Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>, you
wrote:

>Subject:  Re: Transformer (2500 volt)
>     To:  tesla-at-stic-dot-net    Date:
>   Date:  Tue, 13 May 1997 02:36:21 +0500
>   From:   Alfred A. Skrocki"
><alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com>           To:   Tesla List
><tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

[snip]
>And he and I are comparing the findings on oil burner
>transforers as well. I will continue to suggest using current
>limiting on microwave transformers and oil burner transformers
>untill I find that the ones I have that are not current limited are
>unique (I tend to doubt this) or as I suspect we will find some are
>current limited and some are not. Then I would suggest measuring the
>transformers and if they are current limited then you wont need to
>current limit them otherwise they will need a series current limiter.
>I feel it is better to suggest using a harmless current limiter than
>not to suggest it and have a large group of people blameing me for
>their burned out transformers. It is a case of untill we are
>absolutely sure, it is better to be safe than sorry.

Alfred,
        If the oil burner transformers are not current limiting, how
do they drive a gas discharge / arc  (the spark plug used to light the
oil) without their secondary current becoming infinite?  Gas
discharges inherently display a negative resistance property.  If they
are not current limited (for any voltage above their sustaining
voltage) they will draw as much current as it takes to lower the
voltage across them to that voltage. Two examples come to mind:
Mercury vapor: 12V, Neon: 60V. I don't remember the voltages for
Nitrogen.

        jim