[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Magnetic shunts in microwave xfmrs

Subject: Magnetic shunts in microwave xfmrs
  Date:  Tue, 13 May 1997 19:41:40 -0400 (EDT)
  From:  "Daryl P. Dacko" <mycrump-at-cris-dot-com>
    To:  Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

Fr. Tom McGahee, et al,

The recent discussion about oil burner tranformers with and without
magnetic shunts got me to thinking about my own experiances with
microwave transformers.
Every MOT (microwave oven transformer) I've 'played' around with
has had magnetic shunts (with one exception).

The odd part is that when I've shorted the outputs and plugged them
into the wall, they drew over 20 amps and popped the circuit breaker in
in short order.

So the question is, do all MOT's act this way, or are we looking at
the same sort of variation that we've seen with oil burner
transformers?

I'm guessing that only a little current limiting is needed in a
microwave
oven, just enough to keep the magnitron from drawing too much current
during the peaks of the AC waveform. I seem to recall that magies have
a negative resistance curve... (I'm on vacation now, and my books are
at home...)

I've also read that several diffrent types of tubes are used in
microwaves,
from magnitrons to backward wave tubes, and I'd guess that totally
diffrent transformers might be needed.

Any experts out there ?

Daryl