[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Reflections in Power Transfer

Subject:      Re: Reflections in Power Transfer
       Date:  Wed, 14 May 1997 08:24:59 +1200
       From:  "Malcolm Watts" <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
         To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

Hi Greg,

>       From:  Greg Leyh <lod-at-pacbell-dot-net>
>         To:  Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>

> Malcolm Watts wrote:
>
> >      I was pondering the fact that we never see the secondary
> > ringdown in just a cycle or less when loaded by spark. That means
> > that no matter what the V/I ratio in the spark, it never equals Zo of
> > the secondary.
> >      Turns out the answer is blindingly obvious: We know that a spark
> > is a non-linear resistance. Matching to Zo requires an ordinary
> > resistance. Therefore, a proper match never occurs, regardless of the
> > V/I content of the spark (which changes wrt time anyway).
>

> True, it does change wrt time, but wouldn't the streamer start out at
> a high Z, with Z decreasing as power is pumped into it, until the point
> of maximum power xfer is reached?  Beyond that point, the spark power
> would start decreasing, until its Z rose back towards the point of
> max pwr xfer.
>
> -GL

I agree with what you say regarding streamer Z. But considering that
the current is changing continuously, so is the terminating impedance
and it must be changing sinusoidally I think. Is there some way then
we can minimize loaded VSWR and get the energy out in one cycle?
    I guess the point of my bit was to understand why the thing still
rings and I'm sure the mismatch is the element at work.

Any other thoughts welcomed,
Malcolm