[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Dead Capacitor

Subject:  Dead Capacitor
  Date:   Sun, 11 May 97 04:22:31 UT
  From:  "Larry Robertson" <LWRobertson-at-msn-dot-com>
    To:  "Tesla Builders" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

Hi all ...

        I decanted the dead capacitor today - doesn't mineral oil with
vaporized
plastic smell great - and found brown stains on the plastic all along
the
edges of the aluminum plates. Some was possibly carbonized oil as it
wiped off
easily, but some was definatly damage to the plastic. There was one big
hole
about 3/8 " in diameter surrounded by carbonized plastic. There were no
signs
of trauma elsewhere.

        I used two sheets of .030 HD Poly per side and rolled it up a la
RQ's
instructions. I rather think this is not enough dielectric, as I am
using two
15 KV neons. Richard suggests as much.
        In reading spec sheets from plastic manufacturers, and from
Sargeant and
Dollinger's book it appears decreasing the dielectric thickness by 4
doubles
the dielectric strength per mil. I shall try using 3 layers of .020 HDPE
,
however I'm beginning to wonder why I don't go to the local Home Depot
and buy
vast quantities of .010 LDPE for 1/4 the price.

        Also as I bought 48" by 96" sheets, cut somewhat sloppily into
22 inch
pieces, I now have 6 pieces 4 inches wide left over. I shall try adding
4 of
them over the 4 edges of the aluminum, although this may not enhance the
rolling characteristics.

        The smell from the oil I got on my hands does not come off
easily. The wife
won't stand nearby and the dog refuses to talk.

        I suspect maybe rubber gloves could help.

LR