[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: grounding - this doesn't make sense - wire size

Subject:  RE: grounding - this doesn't make sense - wire size
  Date:   Sat, 10 May 97 08:55:12 UT
  From:   "William Noble" <William_B_Noble-at-msn-dot-com>
    To:   "Tesla List" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

consider a simple series circuit containing a capacitor, an inductor,
and a
spark gap, representing the secondary, torroid, and the gap from the
torroid
to whatever the secondary is connected to.  Now, initialize the
capacitor to a
high voltage by using mathamatical magic.   Now, let a spark (e.g. a
pulse of
some shape) jump the gap.  If the spark has a current I, then the same
current
must be seen at both ends of the gap, that is clear.  By that analysis,
it
would seem that the secondary must also, by Kirkov's law, carry the peak
spark
current.  We know this is not the case, so there is something wrong with
that
type of analysis.

What I think the problem is: the gap from torroid to ground isn't a
simple 2
terminal circuit, or even a complex 2 terminal circuit, it is in fact a
3
terminal circuit with one terminal being it's connection to the torroid,
one
it's connection to the "ideal ground" and one it's connection to the
base of
the inductor.  If thought about this way, there are some non-linear
components, but there is also a capacitor (perhaps representing the
Cself of
the coil?? plus some kind of atmospheric factors???) which is not part
of the
secondary copper path itself, which already connects from the torroid to
ground, and it is this capacitor, in series with the torroid that
carries the
bulk of the strike current.

Does this seem right??? If yes, then it would say that yes, max current
could
be somewhere other than at the base of the secondary, but it doesn't
suggest
that a huge ground wire is needed.  The reported information about the
benefits of bigger wire make sense because of reduced inductive losses -
after
all if it's expensive you will use less of it, and big fat wire or strap
is
more expensive and harder to work with (hence routed more directly) than
some
#22 hookup wire.