[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: choppy mesages (Results with MS Inbox) (read with inbox)

Subject:  RE: choppy mesages (Results with MS Inbox) (read with inbox)
  Date:   Sat, 10 May 97 06:32:59 UT
  From:   "William Noble" <William_B_Noble-at-msn-dot-com>
    To:   "Tesla List" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
    CC:    hwahl-at-jtc-campus.moric-dot-org

we are off the tesla thread, but this is really interesting - the
message
shows up perfectly on my machine using MS inbox (exchange 4.0) as the
reader
yet there appear to be hard carriage returns in it because when I widen
the
window the lines don't get any wider.  Now heinz wrote his message using
the
same tool as I use, yet I see my postings comming back with the lines
fragmented in cruel and unusual places.  My conclusion - this isn't a
mail
reader problem, but something in the ISP's gateway to the internet/SMTP
mail
system.  In my case, my ISP is the evil Microsoft itself (e.g. msn), but
heinz
is using (from the return address) some university system.  Now I am
pretty
sure that the university will be using a unix based internet gateway
running a
native SMTP server process, while I also believe I remember reading that
microsoft uses some variant of MS Exchange server running on a plethora
of NT
4.0 platforms.  Anyway, the cosmic meaning behind all of this is that
there
may not be too much point in sweating the columns wars, perhaps just
ignoring
the bizarre formatting will be the most painless.  e.g. Zen and the art
of
reading the tesla list without getting your eyes crossed.