[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: grounding, misc thanks

Subject:   Re: grounding, misc thanks
  Date:   Fri, 9 May 1997 02:47:07 +0300 (EET DST)
  From:   Kristian Ukkonen <kukkonen-at-cc.hut.fi>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

On Thu, 8 May 1997, Tesla List wrote:

> I did notice a small temperature rise.  I don't think this capacitor is
> a DC
> only type because it's got #8 studs at each end - that implies to me
> that it
> ought to handle some real current, although perhaps not as much as the
> coil
> demands of it on a continuous basis.

Perhaps some real current but the frequency is the question. I have some
large filter-caps with quite high voltage ratings (up to 80kVdc) and
the biggest one has 16mm diameter threaded connectors. This does not
imply that the cap will survive TC-use and/or perform well.

However, if your cap works in a TC then, by all means, do use it!

> stuff) in 30 mil thickness at a local plastic store for about $5 per
> sheet (as
> I recall the sheets are 2ftX3ft), and they have some other plastics,

Sounds QUITE expensive. Get LDPE or PP as the cost is not greater.
I have acquired 1.2m*0.8m, 1mm thick PP sheets for 16FIM=3USD each.
That price was quite reasonable as it was high-quality pure PP.

> what it is chemically.  reccommendations???  what about aluminized
> plastic of
> some kind - even aluminized mylar with additional (non mylar) dielectric
> -
> that would be easier to roll up, but I'm not quite sure how to get a
> good
> electrical connection to it for terminals.

The layer in aluminized mylar is VERY thin. Not of use in this
application.

  Kristian Ukkonen.

| Kristian Ukkonen       |  Do as thou wilt shall be the whole of the
law |
| kukkonen-at-alpha.hut.fi  |_____  Chance favours the prepared mind
|-------
| http://www.hut.fi/~kukkonen |  Fear is the mind-killer  |---------