[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Top Terminal Shape

Subject:  Re: Top Terminal Shape
  Date:   Fri, 9 May 1997 21:19:40 -0500
  From:   "Robert W. Stephens" <rwstephens-at-headwaters-dot-com>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

> >        Also, its the smallest radius anywhere (exception below) that
> >        is expected to control, so a thin wire to a separated sphere
> >        is questionable, in fact designing the to terminal so as to
> >        be phyisically mountable, while not having sharp curvature
> >        is tricky.  I noted a few weeks back that someone reported (?)
> >        improvement by spacing the toroid up WITH A LARGISH CYLNDRICAL
> >        METAL SUPPORT, to there was minimal corona loss off the wire.
> >        (Was i hallucinating, did somoen so report?)  If so, it would
> >        want a slit in one side to avoid 'shorted turn', effects, i
> >        think.
> >
> big snip
>
> >regards
> >        dwp
> >

> The slit in any component on top of most 2.5:1, L/D or better resonators
> is
> absolutely not needed at all.  The primary coupled energy at that point
> is
> usually k=.005 or so.
>
> experiment:
>
> Take a shorted ring of copper pipe just slightly larger than the OD of
> the
> resonator. Remove all terminal gear to leave a naked resonator sitting
> in
> the primary.  Disconnect the primary and hook an LCR meter to it.
> Slowly
> lower the ring down towards the top of the resonator  (you will see
> little
> if any change in the primary inductance provided your coil is 2.5:1 or
> better L/D ratio and you have a tolerable inductance in the resonator.
> as
> the coil gets really close to the primary more effect will be noted.
> But
> near the top it is of almost no concern and receives almost no primary
> coupled energy. If you have a mind to, and can actually see a change on
> the
> LCR meter with the ring near the top turn of the resonator, figure the K
> value and compare it to your coupling pri/sec.
>
> Feel free to jam all sorts of shorted turn garbage on the top of your
> resonators! (remember, it will affect the effectiveness the top
> resonator
> turns, but it will also protect and shade them.  It is a balance.
> Forget
> the primary, it is in the next galaxy, inductively.
>
> Richard Hull, TCBOR

Richard,

With my background in radio astronomy I can support your claim about
the primary field being 'effectively in the next galaxy' by the time
you get to the top of the secondary,.......however I would consider
the field associated with the top region of an excited secondary in this
case to
have some form of an interplay, albeit of reduced power levels to the
primary example, but an interplay with the shorted turn the topload
represents, nevertheless.  This *may* explain
a part of the different throwing effects seen from a coil system when
the large toploading, shorted turn toroid is tried at varying heights
above the top secondary turn, over and above what effect the
electrostatic field control also being changed has to do with the
experiment.

I would expect that the shorted turn represented by the toroid, or
toroid cluster (when more than one are typically used such as my
work) would produce a dampening effect on the slow wave rate of
propagation as it approaches the topload end of the secondary.
Perhaps my practice of NEVER going to expanded turn spacing at the
top several turns of a secondary, but adjusting the top turn-toroid
spacing by
experiment, creates the same effect of damping the wave near the top end
of the secondary.  I have been very successful with my approach.

Grey matter cognitive thoughts encouraged!  Those relying solely on
spreadsheets and other computer simulations may tackle this problem
at great personal risk of failure IMO.

rwstephens