[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RE H.V. Transformers

Subject:  Re: RE H.V. Transformers
  Date:   Thu, 8 May 1997 15:44:27 -0400
  From:   "Thomas McGahee" <tom_mcgahee-at-sigmais-dot-com>
    To:   "Tesla List" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

----------
> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
> Subject: RE H.V. Transformers
> Date: Thursday, May 08, 1997 2:04 AM
>
> Subject:      RE H.V. Transformers
>        Date:  Wed, 07 May 1997 15:26:07 GMT
>        From:  robert.michaels-at-online.sme-dot-org (Robert Michaels)
>          To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>

> T>  From:   "Alfred A. Skrocki"
<alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com>

> T>I have noticed many of you have difficulty finding Neon sign
> T>transformers for your Tesla Coils, but aside from Neon sign
> T>transformers, Neon sign bombarder transformers and pole pigs
> T>there is another usually neglected source of H.V. transformers
> T>namely oil burner ignition transformers. These transformers put
> T>out typically 10,000 volts at 23 ma. and they are damn near
> T>indestructible. They can easily be connected in parallel for
higher

>         Methinks you are at tad overly kind in your estimation
>         of oil burner ignition transformers (OBITs):
>
>         In newspaper parlance "obit" is short for obituary, and
that
>         is what one will soon write for one's OBIT unless one is
>         =extremely= careful (and lucky as well):
>
>         Neon transformers are designed for continuous, 24-hr. per
>         day operation.  And OBITs?   Hmmm -- maybe 20-30 seconds
>         of operation, perhaps 20-30 times a day?
>
>                                 - - - - - - -
>
>         I'm not saying OBITs are useless.  Far from it.  I've used
>         them myself.  (My first ever high-voltage experience was
>         with an OBIT).
>
>         However - if neon transformers are to be considered
sensitive,
>         prone to short life in Tesla service, and requiring of pro-
>         tection, then OBITs are =very= much more so.
>
>         Elsewise, enjoy.
>
>                                      In fond reverie (and loving
>                                      memory) of my first OBIT in --
>                                      Detroit, USA
>
>                                      Robert Michaels

Ah, but Robert, what if he was using one of those MIL-SPEC oil
burners, the type NASA specifies for Moon Shots... Why, he could
connect two of them together in cascade and get, let's see here, 833
Kilovolts.

But only if they are MIL-SPEC, of course. :)

Fr. Tom McGahee