[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

OBITs

Subject:  OBITs
  Date:  Thu, 8 May 97 08:59:20 EDT
  From: pierson-at-gone.ENET.dec-dot-com

mail11:;;;;;-at-us4rmc.pko.dec-dot-com-at-us4rmc.pko.dec-dot-com-at-unknown.domain.pupman-dot-com;;;;;;;;
(-at-teslatech)
    CC:
        pierson-at-gone.ENET.dec-dot-com

>        Methinks you are at tad overly kind in your estimation
>        of oil burner ignition transformers (OBITs):

>        In newspaper parlance "obit" is short for obituary, and that
>        is what one will soon write for one's OBIT unless one is
>        =extremely= careful (and lucky as well):

>        Neon transformers are designed for continuous, 24-hr. per
>        day operation.  And OBITs?   Hmmm -- maybe 20-30 seconds
>        of operation, perhaps 20-30 times a day?

        There are differnt kinds of oil burner transformers, for
        different kinds of burners.  SOME only run for a few seconds
        at startup. Some (eg: the one one my furnace) run as long as
        the burner does.  Its a differnce in the gun design.

        Another way to consider this is that if a neon sign
        transfomer fails, in service, a sign goes out.  If an oil
        burner tranformer (continuous duty type ) fails, in service,
        people can die, or, at least, get REAL cold.  I don't know
        which, if either, is better for coiling.  My guess is they
        are about equal....

(PS to the 'chop squad':
I've intentionally limited my lines to roughly 65 characters...)

        regards
        dwp