[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Golka coil specs

Subject:   Re: Golka coil specs
  Date:    Wed, 7 May 1997 01:25:01 -0400 (EDT)
  From:   richard hull <rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

At 01:56 AM 4/29/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Subject:  Golka coil specs
>  Date:   Sun, 27 Apr 1997 18:11:45 -0500 (CDT)
>  From:   Bert Pool <bertpool-at-flash-dot-net>
>    To:   tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
>

>I know I recently saw an excellent file which gave a lot of specifics on
>Golka's big Wendover magnifier, including the different cap values
>tried,
>generator specs, etc., but I cannot find it again.  I thought it was
>saved
>in my p.c. but a thorough search did not turn it up.  I have Yahooed and
>Excite'd and Web Crawled until my fingers are blue and I have been
>unable to
>find the file on the Web.  Do any of you have a copy of the Golka specs
>or
>can you point me to a URL?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Bert Pool
>bertpool-at-flash-dot-net

Bert,

I have them around here somewhere as Toby Grotz published all of them in
1990 TCBA NEWS article. ( I think) I know that Golka ran a lot of power
into
his system. (up to .25 megavar).  His system was really a pure clone of
Tesla's 1899 system in Colorado.  He did alter his caps a little and his
gap
system, while terrible, was much better than Tesla's.  His extra coil
was
the most highly modified item in his system.  So far as I am concerned,
and
based on what I have seen,  Golka holds the world record for actual
spark
out of a Tesla coil.  He also operated the largest system ever assembled
my knowledge.  Also, it was not particularly efficient.

We have an up close and personal slide show with explanation from Jim
Speer
of Boeing Aircraft, who worked with Golka for a while at Wendover (two
separate times!) on one of our report tapes.  He gave the slide show and
lecture at two Teslathons and I taped it.

I'll get back to you on this.

Richard Hull, TCBOR