[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

skin effect/other

Subject:   skin effect/other
  Date:    Wed, 7 May 97 08:40:37 EDT
  From:     pierson-at-ggone.ENET.dec-dot-com

mail11:;;;;;-at-us4rmc.pko.dec-dot-com-at-us4rmc.pko.dec-dot-com-at-unknown.domain.pupman-dot-com;;;;;;;;
(-at-teslatech)
    CC:
        pierson-at-ggone.ENET.dec-dot-com

>> Skin depth REALLY means that the average power loss in a conductor
>with
        sample line wrap, as received.
        fixed
>>skin effect is exactly the same as that if the total current flow
>>was uniformly flowing through a tube whose wall thickness was
>>exactly one skin depth.

>The first time I heard that at 60Hz the skin depth was 1/3" I was
>amazed. Also the current vector you mentioned in a previous post is
>most interesting. I can imagine a current curving into and out of a
>conductor which is thicker that necessary.
        I would consider that unlikely.  [one exception i think of
        below] The usual working model of 'current flow' is a 'gas
        of electrons' with the actual 'flow' being 'shockwaves' or
        'pressure gradients' in the 'gas'.  The modifier to this is
        that the mutual repulsion of the negatively charged majority
        characters will keep them towards the skin.

        The likely exception would be a 'woven' conductor, eg the
        braided ground strap, ferinstance, widely reported to be
        lossy at coiling freqs.

>Holey conductive phase shift Batman!
        But the holes are positive, Tom said, positively.  8)>>

Other:
I took a quick look at Prodigal Genius and Inventiones Researches &
Writings.  I saw no mention of 'honorary doctorates'.  I'd be
interested to know who conferred these.

        thanks
        dwp