[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tank Capacitance: what is the limit

Subject:      Re: Tank Capacitance: what is the limit
       Date:  Tue, 6 May 1997 08:10:01 +1200
       From:  "Malcolm Watts" <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
         To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

Hi Barry,

<snip>
> spark gap.  The question I am purplexed by is
> whether it is more efficient to transfer energy
> with many beats from a high Q primary system,
> incurring spark gap losses which are highest
> at the transitions, or with one or less beats
> from a low Q, big capacity, low turn, primary
> system which incurs less spark gap transition
> losse but bigger spark gap power loss from
> the higher current?

Difficult to quantify without knowing the amounts. But why should a
lower current primary suffer more beats than a high current one? The
gap is actually harder to forcibly extinguish in a high current
primary.
    Incidentally, low frequency running for a given k should make
forcible quenching easier because the gap is quieter for a longer
period between trades. I'll stick my neck out and suggest that if you
notice no difference in quench between setting the system at the
loss-corrected value of a magic k and any other k, your forcible
quenching is not working.

> The secondary is a classic resonator with a variable
> resistance (streamer), skin effect resistance,
> other interturn capacitive esr losses, and the
> variable capacitance of the streamer.
> With many beats the energy lost to heating the
> wire and ionizing the air will be greater.  With a
> single pulse would the energy loss be less with
> the result that more energy goes to the streamer?
> Or could it be that the streamer requires multiple
> pulses to reach maximum length?

Multiple in terms of primary cap charges from the transformer. It
also takes several cycles of oscillation per cap charge to establish
strong ionization. You can see this on the scope - the secondary
never loses its power in just one cycle.

> > Have you ever tried feeding a single pulse at
> full power into the primary with a trigatron
> or field distortion swinging cascade switch?

No. Just single-shot using an ordinary gap.

> Reference equation from the Radiotron Designers
> Handbook, fourth edition, page 410:
>
> I = E * r / ( r**2 + (w**2)(L**2))  at resonance
>
> Q = w * L / r = 1 / (w * C)
>
> I = current in parallel resonant circuit (primary)
> E = voltage applied to capacitor
> r = resistances in primary (nonreactive)
> w = 2 * Pi * frequency
> L = inductance
> Q = energy input per unit time / energy lost per unit time
> C = capacitance

Malcolm