[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Re: Cascading Transfo

Subject:      RE: Re: Cascading Transfo
       Date:  Mon, 5 May 1997 08:53:09 +1200
       From:  "Malcolm Watts" <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
         To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

Hello Robert,
             You wrote in reply....

>        From:   robert.michaels-at-online.sme-dot-org (Robert Michaels)
>          To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>
> T>An ideal transformer is a voltage source is it not? Doesn't matter
> T>what it's rated at. If you load it up, you blow fuses.
>
>         Huh??
>
>         An "ideal transformer"  (or an un-ideal one for that matter)
>         is a voltage source =and= a current source !
>
>         Every transformer (that ever there was) transforms voltage
>         =and= current simultaneously.
>
>         It is no more correct to think of a transformer as a voltage
>         source than it is to think of it as a current source.

OK - it actually depends on the source impedance which in the case of
the mains is rather low.
    The point I was trying to make is that with such a source, a good
transformer doesn't exhibit the current limiting properties one
normally associates with a current source. People use external
inductance with pole pigs to limit current for just that reason.

Malcolm