[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: New Coil/First Run (15 1/4" dia)

Subject:  Re: smallest Tesl Coil
  Date:   Sat, 3 May 1997 19:58:59 -0500
  From:   "Robert W. Stephens" <rwstephens-at-headwaters-dot-com>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

> Date:          Fri, 02 May 1997 23:26:04 -0500
> To:            tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
> Subject:       smallest Tesl Coil
> From:          Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

> Subject:   smallest Tesl Coil
>   Date:   Thu, 01 May 1997 10:26:42 +1000
>   From:   Ralph Down <rjdown-at-fan-dot-net.au>
>   To:     USA-TESLA-at-list.usa-dot-net
>     CC:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>

> I was talking to a tech at the local neon sign shop about Tesla coils
> and he
> showed me a small hand held device which looked like one of those Mag
> lite
> torches. It had a label on the side which read "Tesla gas leak
> detector".
> It plugged into AC mains and made a 50 Hz buzz and a violet corona
> discharge
> appeared at the business end which was a sharp spike.  They use this for
> detecting gas leaks in neon tubes.
> I thought a good project would be to make the smallest Tesla coil rather
> than what everyone else seems to be doing (Making the largest Tesla
> coil).
> Has anyone made a small coil (hand held - battery operated) which gives
> impressive output?
> What would be a good selection of components eg capacitor size, winding
> details etc
> I thought maybe a NiCad power source driving an inverter to supply HV
> and
> then use standard spark gap and small primary coil would be a starting
> point.
> Any thoughts would be welcome.
> Thanks
> Ralph Down
>
> Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday....... and everything
> is O.K.

Ralph,

The ni-cad battery to inverter to HV setup and then a standard
spark gap TC as you describe are the way I would go.  I was toying
with the idea of making a small Tesla coil on an aluminum widebrimmed
hardhat that would operate off gel-cell rechargeable batteries in a
belt pack for someone to wear at nite-time festivities.  With this
device on your head you would not be considered outside the realm of
normal
at a place like the Dayton Hamfest!  Coupling this to a UV lamp on
the same hat would make you *valuable* as a mobile electronic bug
zapper to attend nitetime parties, etc.

rwstephens