[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE smallest Tesl Coil

Subject:       RE smallest Tesl Coil
       Date:   Sat, 03 May 1997 19:47:32 GMT
       From:   robert.michaels-at-online.sme-dot-org (Robert Michaels)
         To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

        Micro coils of various types have been the subject of
        posts in the past and are no doubt archived in the
        usual place.

        IMHO -- The proper starting point for such a coil
        is one of the hand-held electrical shocking devices sold
        for personal defense purposes.  These are somewhat larger
        than a pack of cigarettes.  They typically use a 9-volt
        battery and produce about 30 - 40 Kv. judging by the spark
        gap distance.

                                - - - - - - -

        The device you describe in your post is called (generically)
        a "high-voltage (vacuum) leak tester" and is standard item
        of commerce widely used in chemistry and physics laboratories.

        It is only Tesla-LIKE in my opinion, but if such satisfies
        you, you need only fashion a portable (battery operated)
        power supply for it -- perhaps to be worn on the belt.

                To this end I would envision a couple of 6-volt
                lantern batteries + one of the solid-state power
                inverters sold for making 120-v ac from an auto-
                mobile cigarette-lighter socket.  The smallest
                of these is about the size of a paper-back book.

                                        Thinking small in --
                                        Detroit, USA

                                        Robert Michaels

        P.S. = Please stick to 70-column lines.  The result of doing
               otherwise appears below>