[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: More rotary gap questions..

Subject:  Re: More rotary gap questions..
  Date:   Mon, 28 Apr 1997 15:38:58 -0500
  From:   "Robert W. Stephens" <rwstephens-at-headwaters-dot-com>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

> <snip>
>
> >> Now I'm wondering about the rotating electrodes, I've heard mentioned
> >> brass pins, brass screws with stainless acorn nuts, and some sort of
> >> threaded holder with tungsten rods.
>
> <snip>
>
> >Daryl,
> >
> >I can supply you with matched .250" dia. solid tungsten studs ground to
> >1.5" length within .002" for $7.00 each. I use, and recommend, nothing
> >but solid tungsten studs on any of the gaps that I use because of the
> >durability and safety factor. Screw in inserts can work loose because
> >the two different materials involved expand at different rates when
> >heated.
> >
> >I have 6 continuous hours of run time at 8 to 10 KW on the .250 dia.
> >studs in the rotor on the series rotary gap I use with my magnifier and
> >the stud erosion is minimal. In addition, when the studs do errode
> >sufficiently all you have to do is pull them out and face them off on a
> >belt sander or grinder and it only costs you the time it takes to do it.
> >No extra cost to replace inserts!
> >
> >Safe Coiling Always,
> >
> >Ed Wingate
>
> Thanks for the info !
>
> I'd considered using Tungsten studs, but I'm still trying to figure out
> how to hold the studs to the rotor.
>
> I thought of drilling out a 1/4" hole in some stainless bolts and then
> useing a setscrew through the side to hold the stud in place.
>
> But I worry about the balance of the rotor, 'tho I could machine them
> till they weigh the same. The other big problem is whether the setscrews
> will hold well enough in something as hard as Tungsten. I also worry
> about
> haveing so much weight at the edge of the disk
>
> The ideal situation would be something like a collet, which would hold
> the stud in place by compression, while makeing sure they were
> concentric.
>
> Alas, if I had enough equipment to make such a holder, I wouldn't have
> enough money to make a coil !
>
> The hardest part of all this, is finding out what is 'good enough'.
> ('Tho the same can be said for most enginering...)
>
> Daryl

Daryl, All (with the explicit exception of  DR.WHO),

There IS a type of collett available from radio/electronics parts
stores.  This device is designed to thread onto a standard, 1/4 inch
shaft, panel mount potentiometer, the kind that use a 3/8th inch fine
thread.  Made of nickel plated brass, they are split several places
around and
when their hold-down nut is tightened they prevent the setting of the
pot from
being changed.  You can get 'lockable' pots with this already on them,
or
buy these after market screw-ons as a retrofit.  If you could figure
out a way of embedding these in your rotary disk they would be
terrific I suspect for holding replaceable 1/4 inch tungsten flying
electrodes that are mounted 90 degrees to the disk.

rwstephens