[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Best Primary Coil

Subject:  Re: Best Primary Coil
  Date:   Mon, 28 Apr 1997 18:20:11 -0400 (EDT)
  From:   richard hull <rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

>Gary, John and all
>
>I use solenoid or cylindrical primaries. As a matter of course I have
>always tapped from both ends to adjust both coupling and L. It does work
>very well.
>
>Skip
>
>All,

As I have mentioned rather frequently on this list, the cylindrical
primary
is the only real cohice in magnifier work with cylindrical secondaries
due
to the need for tremendous coupling.

I have adopted a style of tapping only from the bottom, up on the
primaries.
This allows a firm, fixed leadout from the top turn which can be very
heavily insulated and leave the primary in a large radius turn.  This
reduces the huge voltage stresses always encountered in the magnifier
driver
between the top of the primary and the secondary windings.

Any form of formal tap in this area is a real trouble spot just waiting
chew up your secondary on maggey driver systems.

For coupling, I just raise or lower the tuned primary.

Richard Hull,TCBOR