[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE Re: Variac vs. Fan spe

Subject:       RE Re: Variac vs. Fan spe
       Date:   Thu, 01 May 1997 20:01:28 GMT
       From:   robert.michaels-at-online.sme-dot-org (Robert Michaels)
         To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

        You are =so= close to the truth - it's a pity you don't get
        the cigar:

        Variable-frequency drives (VFDs)  (more modern name: vector
        drives) are best used with (and intended for) 3-phase
        motors.  Such motors have no centrifugal switch and no
        special starting windings.  With a VFD their speed can
        typically be controlled from 0.1x to 2x the nameplate
        rating.   It's possible to run single-phase motors with
        a VFD but inadvisable for reasons stated.

                              - - - - - - -

        Stepping motors are quintessentially small devices.  A one
        hp stepping motor is already a monster for the genre.  And
        they require special solid-state drive circuitry.

                                - - - - - -

        The absolutely best motor for exquisitely-fine speed control
        is the dc or ac servo motor.  Servo motor speeds can be
        controlled from a few degrees of shaft revolution per minute
        to thousands of rpm with digital precision.  The motors and
        their drives and controllers ain't cheap, but the best rarely
        is.   Then, of course, there's always the usual surplus
        sources.

                                - - - - - -

        The best quick-and-dirty source for universal motors with
        good speed characteristics is to salvage one from an old
        vacuum cleaner.

                Such motors can also be begged from vacuum
                cleaner repair shops in the same manner as
                neon transformers.

        They can be controlled as-is by means of a Variac, or
        with a dc power supply + Variac a very fine degree of
        control may be realized.

                                Motoring on...

                                Robert Michaels - Detroit, USA