[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Saturable Reactors

Subject:   Saturable Reactors
  Date:    Thu, 1 May 1997 23:54:44 +0500
  From:    "Alfred A. Skrocki" <alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com>
    To:    tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

On Tue, 29 Apr 1997 07:47:10 -0400 Steve Falco
<sfalco-at-worldnet.att-dot-net> wrote;

> > This is why I use a home built saturable reactor to control
> > the input power on my larger coils
>
> This is very interesting to me.  Would you please consider posting a
> description or some construction info to the list?  I'd like to try
> building a saturable reactor myself...

Ok Steve, first I want to apologize for not responding sooner but I
have been having trouble with my e-mail which hopefully now has
been corrected.

Now a little background on saturable reactors. A saturable reactor is
essentially a transformer with a third winding that is feed D.C. as
more D.C is feed into this third winding the core becomes gradually
more and more magnetized and less and less responsive to the A.C
passing from the primary to the secondary consequently as more D.C.
is applied to the third winding the A.C coming from the secondary as
well as the current pulled by the primary decreases until the D.C has
saturated the core and no current will be drawn by the primary nor
will there be any secondary output. Saturable reactors were rather
popular in use until the end of the 1950's when solid state
technology started to replace almost everything. Saturable reactors
were also sometimes called magnetic amplifiers due to the fact that
they can be designed such that a comparatively small D.C. current can
control a comparatively large A.C. current flowing through the
primary and secondary. This can be achieved by using many turns of
comparatively small gauge wire, the more turns for a given voltage
the faster the core saturates or another way of looking at it is the
greater the number of turns the smaller the D.C. voltage needed to
control the core. I have found great difficulty finding books with
design information since these references are now long out of print.
If you have access or occasionally find old (pre- 1960's) electrical
and electronic engineering handbooks you may luck out and find some
good design info, if so please post the info to the list! What I have
done with relatively good success is to find a transformer core of
the wattage I want to control (preferably with the primary intact) I
then wind a secondary identical to the primary thus making an
isolation transformer. Next I impericaly find the appropriate
windings for the D.C. control by winding on a pound or so of
typically #28 B&S gauge enamel coated wire, I then apply a variable
D.C to this winding while running an appropriate load on the
isolation transformer and measure input and output voltages and
currents if I don't have enough control over the core I add more wire
if I find the core saturation too sensitive I remove some turns until
I am happy with the control. Lately I have been experimenting with an
altered design to save on the copper. What I am experimenting with
presently is to use the same core but only one A.C. winding and the
D.C. control winding thus making it truly an adjustable choke to be
put in series with whatever load is to be controlled and the A.C
line.

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  -at- -at-  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki
                   alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com
                             .ooo0   0ooo.
                               \_)   (_/