[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

smallest Tesl Coil

Subject:   smallest Tesl Coil
  Date:   Thu, 01 May 1997 10:26:42 +1000
  From:   Ralph Down <rjdown-at-fan-dot-net.au>
  To:     USA-TESLA-at-list.usa-dot-net
    CC:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

I was talking to a tech at the local neon sign shop about Tesla coils
and he
showed me a small hand held device which looked like one of those Mag
lite
torches. It had a label on the side which read "Tesla gas leak
detector".
It plugged into AC mains and made a 50 Hz buzz and a violet corona
discharge
appeared at the business end which was a sharp spike.  They use this for
detecting gas leaks in neon tubes.
I thought a good project would be to make the smallest Tesla coil rather
than what everyone else seems to be doing (Making the largest Tesla
coil).
Has anyone made a small coil (hand held - battery operated) which gives
impressive output?
What would be a good selection of components eg capacitor size, winding
details etc
I thought maybe a NiCad power source driving an inverter to supply HV
and
then use standard spark gap and small primary coil would be a starting
point.
Any thoughts would be welcome.
Thanks
Ralph Down

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday....... and everything
is O.K.