[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Tesla Ground Strap

  Date:
        Sun, 30 Mar 1997 12:13:06 -0500 (EST)
  From:
        richard hull <rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net>
    To:
        Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

>        Just a thought.  Based on my experience of many years in
>trying to provide a good ground for transmitting antennas, I suggest
>checking your ground resistance before worrying too much ab out
>the resistance and/or inductance of your ground leads.  Measure
>the resistance between two ground rods a few feet apart and then
>decide how much trouble to go to with the ground leads.  Around
>here (dry Southern California soil) that turns out to be as
>much as 600 ohms!!!!!!!!  Water pipe ground works better, if you
>want to have RF on it.
>Ed

All,

Ed points up a key issue here and one that few coilers worry with.  The
ARRL
Antenna handbook has a lot of good information on this topic which might
be
helpful.

I have seen many coilers struggle with low loss connections when the
ground
terminus is a virtual antenna!

Likewise, I have seen huge copper strap in a tank circuit thread in
twists
and turns (for aesthetics sake) over 6 feet under a beautiful coil which
was
mounted in a piece of cabinetry.  The coil used 3 turns in the primary
and a
.1 ufd capacitor.  A lot of energy was wasted in the off axis inductance
of
the connections, but boy there was no IR loss!  Circuit IR losses are
almost
never important in coiling compared to inductive, capacitive and gaps
losses
in the primary tank.

Richard Hull, TCBOR