[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Small scale coils

  Date:
        Fri, 28 Mar 1997 01:40:11 -0500 (EST)
  From:
        richard hull <rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net>
    To:
        Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

At 08:52 AM 3/27/97 -0600, you wrote:
>Subject:
>        Small scale coils
>  Date:
>        Thu, 27 Mar 1997 02:16:27 -0600
>  From:
>        Kerry Ludwig <kilroy-at-bscn-dot-com>
>    To:
>        tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>

>After being on this list for sometime now... I've developed a growing
>interest in twin-coil systems as well as maggies.
>
>Does the maggie design work well on a small scale such as a table top
>size
>coil?  Say maybe less than 1kw?

A magnifier will work at 25 watts!  You need to design the system with
magnifier action in mind.  Throwing a third coil on a Tesla coil won't
work
at all.
 R. Hull

Would a neon survive the strong
>coupling?

Not in a million years!  I blew out a 15KV 60 ma in 1 minute 15 seconds
of
operation!  There is fearsome interaction taking place and the high
impedance secondary of a neon is just a great sink for a lot of loose
tank
circuit power.
R. Hull

>would like to build a functional model for just experimenting with. It
>does
>not have to be a spectacular performer. Just a working model.
>
>It seems that all mentions I have seen on twin coil systems are of two
>2-coil systems running out-of-phase.  What about a maggie with two extra
>coils?

Theoretically a magnifier can be constructed with billions and billions
(for
Carl) of extra coils attached!  Just supply enough energy, match the
line
impedance, and fire away.  R. Hull

(One fed off each end of the secondary with primary centered,
>similar to a bi-polar setup.)

 You should really ground the center of the secondary coil for best
results.
R. Hull