[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: spare magnetron

  Date:
        Sat, 29 Mar 1997 09:39:11 -0500
  From:
        "Robert W. Stephens" <rwstephens-at-headwaters-dot-com>
    To:
        Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

> Hi Robert W. Stephens, All,
> How do you get the glue off?
> I have heard that these can
> be used in pulse mode to
> trigger a spark gap switch.
> Ever try that?
> Barry

Barry,

I've not run into any tubes with glue that prevents easy dismantling.

Your idea about pulsing one and using the resultant EM energy to
initiate closure of a spark gap switch is one I hadn't heard of or
thought of.  In thinking about it, I doubt that there would be many
applications where this would be better than more common methods.
There is one that comes to mind however.  In a Marx bank there is a
problem in getting all the gaps to fire at the same time.  By
employing a clear plastic insulating rod as a *waveguide* from the
magnetron
launcher, through all the gaps, you might be able to achieve
simultaneous breakdown.  Hmmmmm...

As this is not a Tesla coil topic now, perhaps further discussion of
this matter should go over to the HV List.

Thanks Storey for posting this.

rwstephens