[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Pig questions

  Date:
        Fri, 28 Mar 1997 11:09:54 -0500 (EST)
  From:
        Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com
    To:
        tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

<< Hi guys,
         The recent forays into semi-suitable transformers, and the fact
 that this is the income tax season, have got me thinking about buying a
 pole pig.  I have some questions, though.
         With the current limiting arc welder in place, what is the
 typical
 current that you pig coilers are using in your setups?
         Am I correct in assuming that with a 5kVA pig operating at
rated
 voltage is delivering just under 400 mA into the circuit, or am I
 reading
 the power ratings wrong?
         What is the reasonable amount that one can overdrive a pig in
 terms of input current?
         What current capacity should my lab have?

         I'm sure that the answers to these questions will only generate
 new ones, but that's all I have for now.

         Thanks,
         Stan Harle
         Alamogordo, NM

Stan,

I use a 14,400 volt 5kva pole pig.  Yes, the current output should be
about
350 ma at 14,400 volts when running at 5 kva.  I have ran mine up to
about 8
kva and it doesn't even get warm.  I think you could probably push them
double the faceplate rating for 5 or 10 minutes at a time with no
problem.
 At 5 kva, it should draw 23 amps from the mains.  I have had my primary
current up to almost 40 amps.  I am using 40 amp breakers with 30 amp
fuses
in series.

Ed Sonderman