[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Primaries

  Date:
        Thu, 27 Mar 1997 11:56:42 -0500 (EST)
  From:
        Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com
    To:
        tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

<<
 I now have my secondary complete, and am looking for some information
 decide
 what type of primary I should make for best results.  I am building a
 small
 coil and am using a 15kv 30 ma neon sign transformer.  And my secondary
 is 15
 inches tall on 4" pvc with 23 gauge wire.  I'm wondering if I should
 make a
 flat "pankake primary", one on a 30 degree incline, or one of straight
 concentric spirals.  What kind of results have people gotten with these
 and
 what seems to work best.  Also can anyone recomend a good spark gap
 design to
 use with my coil.

 Thanks...

 JP

JP,

I would use a flat pancake primary of 14 to 15 turns made of #10 solid
copper
wire or better yet, 1/4" copper tubing.  If necessary, you can incline
it
maybe 10 degrees which will elevate the outside turns a bit to allow
easier
tuning.

The Richard Quick cylindrical gap will work excellent for your coil.
Plans
are to be found at the ftp site.

Ed Sonderman