[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

shocking questions

Subject:
        shocking questions
  Date:
        Mon, 24 Mar 1997 00:53:15 -0500 (EST)
  From:
        Noetic1-at-aol-dot-com
    To:
        tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

Ok..

My sons and I have a pretty standard setup:

15kv/60 ma neon
approx 15 turns 1/4" copper tubing
6" diameter secondary, wound 22.5" 22 Gauge wire on a 24" form
6 doorknob caps, in series/parallel, 4000 pf/15 kv
Static Gap a la Richard Quick, copper sections gapped at .028,
and a healthy ground, two five foot copper pipes, buried 8 feet apart
and the secondary grounded with a big zinc strip directly from the
secondary base to the ground. Other ground is safety gap/center tap. No
other

wires to ground.

The problem is, we are getting a substantial shock from the sparks
pulled off the secondary. Kind of takes some of the fun out of it.

Does anyone have an idea why this is occuring? Basic wiring
diagram is out of the nic.funet site, nothing strange. I KNOW
we have a substantial ground for the secondary..why the shock?

appreciate any ideas..

Chris Dunagan
and
Evan (13) Andrew (11)