[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Questions Questions

       Date:
            Thu, 27 Mar 1997 08:02:47 +1200
       From:
            "Malcolm Watts" <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
         To:
            tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

Hello George,

>   From:
>         "George W. Ensley" <erc-at-coastalnet-dot-com>
>     To:
>         tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>

> Hello,
> I have been attempting to optimize my 6" coil with some success. What i
> have
> noticed is that the coupling coefficient seems to vary a good deal. Any
> number of factors seem to affect it, breakout, toroid height, toroid
> size,
> coil height, etc. I am using K=(Fh-Fl)/Fr to find K is this correct?

It is good enough for k's below 0.25 or so.

> It has been interesting to note that while using a large toroid, 7"x 30"
> which was difficult to break out, the system exhibited all the signs of
> over
> coupling. When a small tab was added to assist breakout, all of the
> signs
> went away and the best spark to date was achieved.
>
> Some how i get the feeling that the signal generator and the O-scope
> aren't
> telling me all i want to know. What is the k of the system while in
> operation? How can i check it?

k doesn't alter in operation. It is fixed according to the coil
inductances and their positioning relative to one another.

<snip>
> I have observed a wave shape change in the output of the coil that is no
> doubt the results of better quenching. It is now a single hump with a
> fairly
> rapid rise and slower ring down. Previously a double hump was evident
> with
> the second being much smaller than the first but still causing the event
> last almost twice as long.

What you have now is pretty much ideal. The energy trade is
essentially one-way. Your system energy is now being dissipated more
by the secondary discharge than the gap. Nirvana.

Malcolm
<snip>