[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Magnifier pics

  Date:
        Mon, 24 Mar 1997 05:51:25 -0600 (CST)
  From:
        Bert Pool <nikki-at-fastlane-dot-net>
    To:
        Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
    CC:
        bemery-at-why-dot-net

At 11:12 PM 3/23/97 -0600, you wrote:
>        Re: Magnifier pics
>  Date:
>        Sat, 22 Mar 1997 23:53:46 -0500 (EST)
>  From:
>        richard hull <rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net>
>    To:
>        Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>

>At 03:10 PM 3/22/97 -0600, you wrote:
>>Subject:
>>        Magnifier pics
>>  Date:
>>        Sat, 22 Mar 1997 13:00:44 -0600 (CST)
>>  From:
>>        Bert Pool <nikki-at-fastlane-dot-net>
>>    To:
>>        tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>>

>>I posted some pictures of a large Jacob's ladder (5 kva, 34.5 KV
>>transformer) as well as some shots of last Saturday night's magnifier run.
>>The extra coil wanted to arc from the top to bottom corona ring, shorting it
>>out, but I still got some 4 footers out.  The secondary was showing
>>signs of inter turn arcing, so I'm gonna tear it down and rebuilt it with some
>>good HV test prod wire I have on hand.
>>
>>I now appreciate what Richard Hull and Ed Wingate, and others, have gone
>>through on building large working magnifiers.  If you start to use the
>>smaller physical extra coils like Hull does, things have to be perfect, and
>>you don't even know what "perfect" necessarily entails!
>>

>>Bert Pool
>>nikki-at-fastlane-dot-net
>>

>Bert,
>
>Once again, the very quick study you make comes shining through.  The only
>way you could make this statement is to have actually tried to do it!
>(something not many are willing to attempt.)

Yeah, I can say "been there, tried to do that."

>Your verbage may sound
>humorous to many, but as you, I, Ed Wingate and a few others are painfully
>aware; a little resonator in a powerful magnifier has to be PERFECT in more
>respects than are apparent! Only a studied hand can achieve it because
>the mind can't catalog all that PERFECT entails!!

I've about decided that small spun toroids may almost be a necessity for
magnifier that uses a small resonator coil.  But I've not yet exhausted
some
more ideas in this area.  I do know that I'm backing away from
ultra-small
resonators and going to something a bit easier to optimize.

> I just know you have at least one or two fried and smoked small resonators
>laying around on the lab floor like once fired canon shell casings in the
>heat of battle.

Yes, as a matter of fact, I have on hand one 4 inch by 13 inch resonator
coil that looks like it has seen the firey ravages of hell itself.

>Human interaction is the final synergism in this endeavor.  I am looking
>forward to hearing from you that you have kicked my butt with a hot little
>resonator boiling away in your secret Fort Worth lab sometime down the road.
>Onward and upward!
>
>Richard Hull, TCBOR

Richard, I think your butt is safe for a little while longer <grin>.
Thanks for the encouragement.

Bert Pool
nikki-at-fastlane-dot-net