[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: microwave caps

  Date:
        Sat, 22 Mar 1997 23:09:23 -0500 (EST)
  From:
        richard hull <rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net>
    To:
        Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

At 12:00 AM 3/22/97 -0600, you wrote:
>        Re: microwave caps
>  Date:
>        Fri, 21 Mar 1997 19:55:57 -1200
>  From:
>        Ken Smith <ksmith-at-ihug.co.nz>
>    To:
>        Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>

>>If i use the bottle capacitor (6 pack) i read about here on the web, is
>>this good enough ?
>>this is my first project so i'll live with second best.
>

>Kenneth (great Name),
>                        although I am not really qualified to answer
>much on
>this list (being such a Tesla newbee and dolt to boot) I will attempt a
>short answer :
>
>Bottles are OK - they work (I screwed around with screw tops for ages)
>but
>there is no substitute for getting yourself organised and getting a
>decent
>rolled poly cap built.  Look at it this way.  The damn thing (cap) needs
>sit for a couple of weeks anyway unless you have access to a vacuum
>pump- to
>let the air get out.  And while you are waiting you can build yourself a
>QUICK spark gap unit.  These two things are fundimental to getting a
>half
>decent coil on the floor and sparking.  The last step is to use
>something
>like NTESLA.EXE to design your coil.  Use the equipment / wire pipe
>diameters that you have as fixtures and work around them.  In the end
>you
>will have a design that has a fair to reasonable chance of tuning and
>working and amazing.  In all it it worth the effort to do it right from
>the
>getgo.
>
>There is nothing more expensive and frustrating (take it from me) than
>having a half hearted go at a Tesla.  It is demanding technology (even
>if it
>seems primative to uninitiated eyes) and it demands care and attention
>detail to get results.  The up side is that the results are spectacular
>and
>inspiring to greater things (or is that a down side from the bank
>manager's
>point of view <g>).  But if you screw around on the basics you will be
>disappointed and out of pocket at best.
>
>In short - don't &*^k around - do it properly.  It seems like a lot of
>work,
>and it is.  But there is no alternative if you want a working coil.
>

>Let us know how you get on...
>
>Ken(neth)
>
>Ken Smith
>Weymouth
>Auckland
>http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~ksmith
>ksmith-at-ihug.co.nz
>
>Ken,

For a Newbee, you are no dolt.  You answered a question well and
indicated
just how much you have learned with the statement about the Tesla system
seeming simple but not being trivial.  This is the first great wisdom to
be
recognized and accepted by the smart, advancing coiler!  Welcome on
board
and thanks for helpin' us old hands answer questions.  It is the only
way
the newer newbees will start chimin' in and keep the discussion and
technique sharin' alive.  Chip has mentioned that the list is over 85%
listeners who we never here from.

Richard Hull, TCBOR