[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Optimal Quenching

  Date:
        Mon, 17 Mar 1997 18:23:40 -0500 (EST)
  From:
        richard hull <rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net>
    To:
        Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

At 12:07 AM 3/17/97 -0600, you wrote:
>            Re: Optimal Quenching
>       Date:
>            Mon, 17 Mar 1997 12:45:41 +1200
>       From:
>            "Malcolm Watts" <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
>         To:
>            tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>

>Hi John (Freau), all,
>                        Firstly, John requested a description of my
>MOSFET gap setup. Briefly, I used a system resonant at about 180kHz
>(from memory - I don't have my notes here) coupled at k=0.1. The
>primary coil had a rather low inductance of just a few uH and Cp was
>about 0.5uF. Explanation: with low primary voltages around 30 or so,
>I chose a rather large cap to get some energy in to make measurements
>easier. The gap consisted of 4 MTP3055E MOSFETs wired in parallel and
>the primary alone gave a measured Q of 9. I was able to use the
>standard decrement formula because all losses were linear-resistive.
>The low Q mirrored the appalling L/C ratio and L/R ratio. It was a
>substantial improvement on a single MOSFET alone though. That gave a
>Q around 4 if I remember correctly. Secondary output was monitored
>using a short piece of wire dangling from a scope probe several feet
>away from the coil. The primary was scoped directly across Lp on some
>occasions, and the "gap" on others. The "gap" was placed across the
>supply.
>     The MOSFETs were turned on/off using a precision pulse generator
>with a 50 Ohm output impedance (10V capability) and the output was
>terminated at the gate-source with a 50 Ohm resistance to get good
>risetimes. Using this setup, I was able to investigate the effects of
>different quenchtimes, resonant charging of Cp using a choke
>(sometimes with a series diode) between the DC power supply and
>primary circuit, transfer times, class C operation (I could dump the
>cap at the resonant frequency by carefully adjusting generator
>frequency and dwell (pulse) time - very difficult). This was
>facinating though. With an impulse of constant (*not decrementing*)
>amplitude transferred to the secondary evey cycle with the right
>phasing, the output soared incredibly due to the high output
>impedance of the non-sparking secondary as the energy accumulated
>on each cycle. There is no magic about where this kind of rise comes
>from. Because of the very low distributed Csec, any movement near the
>coil afffected this output greatly. Bringing a hand close reduced it
>to near zero as the secondary tune and hence relative phase wrt the
>primary changed.
>
>     A disclaimer - the astute will note that there are parasitic
>substrate zeners present in the MOSFETs. This in no way affected the
>amount of energy transfer - they did affect low frequency primary
>behaviour with the charging choke as the primary cap and choke rang
>at a low frequency after the gap was cut off. It also meant that
>"quenching" the primary was less than clean on a negative half cycle
> [...]

I have limited current for the gap only and realized that the limiting
with
a resistor-inductor mix really hardly affected the charge time at all.
My
inductance limiter is about 1mh while my resistive element at current is
.25
ohms.

Richard Hull, TCBOR