[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tube Type Tesla Coils

       Date:
            Wed, 19 Mar 1997 12:17:43 +1200
       From:
            "Malcolm Watts" <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
         To:
            tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

I don't think there should be any great surprise about this....

> John,     I seem to remember hearing that the Corum's (or maybe their
> students), did this with a tube coil.  If I remember correctly, they
> were
> able to acheive a quite low, maybe 1.5 or so VSWR, and they said the
> coil did
> perform best at lowest VSWR.  I don't remember where I heard this story.

A VSWR approaching 1 implies maximum power transfer to the load
impedance from the source impedance (Y-N)?  It does also imply that
the line is terminated in Zo at each end also I would think.
    Using a Smith Chart graph to match a transmission line is fine
where the source and load impedances are known exactly but those
results fly off in the breeze when either changes as they do in a TC
situation. I think the fact that Rgap varies with current in the gap
system makes the use of Smith Chart totally invalid for a spark gap
coil, sparking secondary or not because the resonator feed impedance
must vary as Rgap varies despite the fact that the resonator base is
grounded (Y-N)? It can't be very useful to us because it is valid
only when the primary is not coupled and the secondary is not
sparking, regardless of the energy content of the secondary
(assuming static losses = dynamic losses).

Other opinions/answers welcome as always,
Malcolm