[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Optimal Quenching

       Date:
            Tue, 18 Mar 1997 16:32:24 +1200
       From:
            "Malcolm Watts" <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
         To:
            tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

Hi Bert, John,
               Bert writes:

> Sorry about the delayed resonse to your earlier post - been a little
> busy lately. Interesting that the upper and lower sidebands are still
> relatively asymmetric about the center frequency even in the later set
> of measurements.
>
>              Fc  Delta
>             ---  -------
>    Fl: 205  240  35  kHz
>    Fu: 260  240  20  kHz

That is as it should be and actually serves to confound the
explanation I am working on to a degree. The reason is that the
upper and lower frequencies tend to infinity and zero respectively
as coupling tends to 1.  I have some equations relating those
frequencies to k that were supplied by Mark Barton. I'll post those
later.

> Anyway, the optimal dwelltime seems to be in the right ballpark now. I
> also concur with Malcolm's interpretation of why we get the sidebands
> after the ideal quenchtime. I'm also interested in the type of switching
> circuit used to make a variable "gap" - a properly biased MOSFET pair
> sounds like it would be close to an ideal low power experimental tool.

Malcolm
<snip>