[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (Steel for) Magnet De

       Date:
            Thu, 13 Mar 1997 17:53:42 GMT
       From:
            robert.michaels-at-online.sme-dot-org (Robert Michaels)
         To:
            tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

T> Re: Soft iron for magnetic structures
T>>  WHERE can you find it these days?  Haven't had luck with
T>> local metals supply houses (in LA, of all places).
T>> Ed Phillips
T>  >>

T>I thought silicon (transformer) steel was used for magnetic structures
these
T>days.

T>John Freau

        Eh, yo!  Planet earth calling. Earth to Mars, come in --

        We are talking about:

                - Like Electromagnets, not transformers.

                - Like continuous (or modulated) =dc= power.

                - Like no eddy currents  (after initial turn-on)

                - Like no core losses.

                - Like no hysteresis.

                - Like silicon steel is very hard to purchase in
                        mass (as opposed to in sheets for making
                        xfmr. laminations)

                - Like silicon steel is damn-near =impossible=
                        to machine (especially in comparison to
                        soft iron; especially if the silicon
                        steel is in the form of laminations)

                        Like the silicon in it chews up tooling
                        like you wouldn't believe.

                        Like in cyclotron work (remember?) the
                        poles will =have= to be machined.

                        Like in cyclotron work, quite likely a lot.

                - Like iron is cheaper than silicon steel.  Like
                        a =whole lot= cheaper.

        Reality check over, earth out.

        Honestly Mr. Freau - we're briefly disappointed in you.  As
        a recognized  (and esteemed) worker in the field we know you
        know better.  (A little ozone poisoning, perhaps?)

                                        "Steeling" for a living,

                                        Robert Michaels -
                                        Tough Enough to Live in Detroit
                                                                USA