[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 10KV RMS -at- 300MA for less than $100

        Re: 10KV RMS -at- 300MA for less than $100
  Date:
        Sat, 15 Mar 1997 15:42:25 -0500
  From:
        "Thomas McGahee" <tom_mcgahee-at-sigmais-dot-com>
    To:
        "Tesla-2" <tesla-2-at-emachine-dot-com>

Dear Fellow Coiler,
I am sending this compendium of posts to all persons that I am currently
aware of who have purchased the H&R transformers, or who expressed an
interest in buying them. I am also sending this set of posts to the
Tesla
list and the Tesla2 list (Tesla2 is a new list dedicated to helping
beginner coilers.) The good news is that these babies are quite useful.
The
bad news is that I am still awaiting full details on several aspects of
their successful use. Please read *everything* in these posts. The info
is
somewhat scattered throughout the posts.

Bottom line: you *need* a safety gap for each transformer. Failure to do
so
will almost surely result in early demise of these excellent
transformers.
The ones with quick connect connectors are more prone to failure due to
the
position of the inside winding quick connect. Immersion in oil should
eliminate all problems with insulation, but safety gaps are still a
must.
Due to the large currents produced you need to use a large (such as .06
mfd) HV capacitor in tank circuit. Otherwise your spark gap will flame.
The
spark gap has to be really heavy-duty, as the currents are high.

As I get more information in, I will make sure that it gets posted to
the
Tesla list and the Tesla2 list. I am sending the current posting to
individuals as well as to the list since I want to alert users of this
transformer as soon as possible so that no one else unneccesarily
damages
one of their transformers.

I know that the urge is to just slap these babies into an existing Tesla
system as-is. That could be disastrous. It would be a real shame if
these
transformers got a bad reputation simply because we didn't take the time
implement them properly.

You will note that my own experiments were run without using the
resonant
winding and its associated capacitor. Thus I was only generating 1/2 of
the
available voltage. That may explain why my abuse of the transformers did
not result in any damage. Personally, I am waiting until Barry Benson
answers my second set of questions before I attempt to run these suckers
in
resonant mode. I plan to oil immerse the secondaries first!

Please share with the rest of us your experiences with these
transformers.

I hope to take all the information we gather on these things and create
fact sheet so that others can benefit from what we learn.

Please be careful! There is a *known* failure mode related to the
secondary. Thus we should all be able to work around this failure mode.
Some may try oil immersion. Others may try moving the secondary
connections
after careful disassembly. Some may try additional insulation such as
RTV
silicone, etc. Whatever you do, please let me know both about your
successes and any failures. Be as explicit as possible about what you
did.
Your information is only useful if it is complete and exact. For
example,
if using RTV silicone, let me know what brand, how much you used, and
any
nitty gritty details that will help others duplicate your success.

I would appreciate it if all users of this transformer would send me
copies
of any e-mail discussing these transformers so that I can gather all the
relevant information into a single document that we can post to the
lists
and get into the archives.

Fr. Tom McGahee
----------
> From: Tesla-2 <tesla-2-at-emachine-dot-com>
> To: tom_mcgahee-at-sigmais-dot-com
> Subject: Re: 10KV RMS -at- 300MA for less than $100
> Date: Friday, March 14, 1997 9:42 PM
>
> From: Steve Falco <sfalco-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
> Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 21:42:12 -0500
> Subject: Re: 10KV RMS -at- 300MA for less than $100
>
> > Those transformers may not be suitable as TC power supplies. It
> > appears that they may be ferro resonant transformers and even more
> > fragile than neons.
> > I was tempted to get a couple myself but I'm waiting until
> > someone actually reports results.
> > The verdict is still out on these. Since you already ordered 2 of them
> > report back to us what results you get. (even if bad)
>
> I ordered four of these transformers.  One had quick-disconnect
> terminals and the other three were the "directly connected wire" type.
> I hooked them up as stated on the instruction sheet, with the provided
> capacitor to resonate the iron core.
>
> I wired the secondaries in series and the primaries in parallel to get
> 10kv out with 120v in.  I found that I had to tighten up my spark gaps
> considerably to get the coil to fire  (I had been using a 12kv neon).
> The spark gaps had a much greener look from the vaporizing copper
> because of the increased current drawn.  I suspect the gaps would not
> last very long with 3 KW of power applied!

This is an important point. The increased current will indeed chew up
spark
gaps more quickly. This should come as no big surprise to any of us. The
tuning of the gaps is obviously also an issue. You can't just throw
these
transformers in a system an not expect to have to do some tuning and
upgrading of the spark gap system. The extra current availability of the
transformer requires that the capacitor be bigger, otherwise the spark
gap
will flame instead of spark. Again, this is not a defect in the
transformer, but something that must be contended with when increasing
the
available current in any Tesla coil system.

> The spark output was down considerably from my 12kv 30ma neon presumably
> because of the lower voltage and because the spark gaps were overloaded
> badly.  A much bigger main capacitor might have helped soak up the extra
> current available.

Absolutely correct. Unless a larger capacitor is used, the spark gap
will
flame and power will be *lost* instead of used.

> Sadly, the transformers only ran for a few seconds, then I saw smoke.
> Turned out the transformer with the quick-disconnect terminals arced
> over between one of the high voltage terminals and the secondary
> windings.  I'm afraid this transformer is totalled, because the paper
> insulation between the secondary layers charred away.

This is precisely the problem that Barry Benson had with his first
attempts
at using these transformers. The ones with the high voltage wires tend
stand up better. The manufacturer has both quick connect HV terminals on
the same side of the transformer, and fairly close to one another. But
the
real problem here is that the wire from the center of the secondary coil
has been brought up to be on top of the secondary so that the quick
connect
terminal can be soldered to it.

In normal operation this appears to work OK, but in Tesla service the
kick
back voltage can initiate a spark between the inner secondary wire and
the
outer portion of the secondary. Once a spark has begun, it ignites with
vengeance because of the current available.

It seems to me that immersion in oil and removal of all air bubbles
after
immersion would totally eliminate this failure mechanism. To facilitate
the
removal of air bubbles it might be useful to carefully perforate the
protective layer that currently covers the secondary.

The transformer looks like it would be very easy to dismantle. If this
was
done, then careful unwrapping of the outer insulatory material might
allow
one to attach High Voltage insulated wire in place of the quick
connects.
Barry Benson mentioned that he packed his transformers with RTV silicone
for increased HV safety. I assume that he meant that he did that to the
secondary windings after disassembly.

Note that if you use oil immersion you should be able to get by without
having to worry about re-wiring the quick connects, because the oil will
provide adequate insulation.

Another very important thing that we can do to prevent these
transformers
from self-destructing is to use a good protective spark gap *at each
transformer*. Please do not skimp here! Even if oil immersed, this item
seems to me to be very important! Do not try to protect all the
transformers with just one protective spark gap! Use a separate gap for
each transformer. Begin with the gaps set too close, and then widen the
safety gaps until they don't fire anymore. This will go a long way
towards
protecting these transformers. Do not omit the safety gaps!!!

> I'm not sure if I should send back the two transformers I have not
> touched yet or keep them.  At a few seconds of operation per
> transformer, they are pretty expensive.  If they can be made to hold
> together they would be fantastic...

Steve, these transformers require some special care, but I believe that
in
the end the extra effort will be worth it. I am still waiting for word
from
Barry Benson as to further details concerning what we have to do to get
these transformers working in a safe way. I recommend that all of us
that
have these transformers *WAIT* until Barry Benson (and anyone else that
has
sucessfully used these transformers) can get back to us with full
details.
No sense in any more of us having to learn the hard way what the
"gotchas"
are with these babies!

By the way, Steve, don't throw the ruined unit out. The core is still
useable, as is the primary. You should be able to use the remnants to
build
something useful, such as a primary choke. By adding a heavy duty
shorted
secondary (just a few turns of really *thick* wire or rod or bar stock),
you can have a mini equivalent of a shorted arc welder. for use in
driving
a primary circuit.

Below I have appended some additional stuff that I hope is useful to all
who have bought these transformers.

>         Steve Falco
>         sfalco-at-worldnet.att-dot-net

----------
> From: Mike Hammer <mhammer-at-misslink-dot-net>
> To: Thomas McGahee <tom_mcgahee-at-sigmais-dot-com>
> Subject: H&R transformers
> Date: Friday, March 14, 1997 6:28 PM
>
> Fr. Tom,
>
> I guess by now you know that you have created a minor
> upheavel in the coiling community when you told us about
> the transformers that H&R has.
> I received 5 emails today alone from people asking me
> if these transformers are for real.
> It seems almost too good to be true.
>
> Well some people have cast doubt on the suitability of these
> because of them being ferro resonant devices.
>
> I once used a ferro resonant transformer from a large IBM copier
> that sounds similar to these and it expired rather quickly.
>
> So my question is do you have a pair of these?
> Have you done any tests on them?
> Have you run them on a coil?
> Any info would be helpful.
>
> I would like to get a pair of them myself but
> I firmly believe that if something seems to good to be true
> it usually is.
>
> TTYL!
> Mike Hammer
> mhammer-at-misslink-dot-net

Mike,
I have been busy trying to gather all the info I can both by
experimenting
with the two units I bought, and by checking with people that I know
have
experienced success with these units.

Since you expressed a desire for this information I am attaching some of
my
experiments, one of my queries, and the response I got so far.. as you
will
see I followed it up with a request for more information.

The good news is that these puppies are really quite useful, even though
some people have had some bad experiences with them. Barry's experience
shows both the problem aspect, but even more importantly, the final
great
result that can be had with a little patience.

These transformers are a bit out of the ordinary, that I will admit! For
me
the bottom line is useful results. And Barry Benson is one user who has
used them with success. You may want to wait until he answers the second
set of questions I sent him. I'll tell you this much: if I had the money
would order another one or two myself and see how far I can push these
suckers! I would want to oil immerse them first, though, as they are
*not*
indestructible as they come out of the box. But a little oil can easily
clear up *that* problem!

Please keep in mind that I am new to these transformers myself. I, too
have
a lot of questions. But from what I have already seen of the two units I
bought, I would have to say that they were worth what I paid. Stay
tuned!

Hope you find this useful.