[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: rolled caps, a new twist

  Date:
        Sat, 15 Mar 1997 10:22:08 -0500 (EST)
  From:
        richard hull <rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net>
    To:
        Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

At 02:26 PM 3/14/97 -0600, you wrote:
>           Re: rolled caps, a new twist
>      Date:
>           Fri, 14 Mar 1997 12:29:35 -0500
>      From:
>           chuck seguin <seguinc-at-algonquinc.on.ca>
>        To:
>           Kristian Ukkonen <kukkonen-at-cc.hut.fi>
>       CC:
>           tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>

>Kristian Ukkonen wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> The idea of applying oil to plates before rolling is not new - the
>> reason why it's not used is that the rolling should be next to
>> impossible with the oily ldpe.. With stacked caps it works.
>>
>> One new idea is to put thin kraft-paper between layers and the
>> paper _really_ helps the oil to spread between plates.
>>
>>   Kristian.

>> | Kristian Ukkonen       |  Do as thou wilt shall be the whole of the law |
>> | kukkonen-at-alpha.hut.fi  |_____  Chance favours the prepared mind  |-------
>> | http://www.hut.fi/~kukkonen |  Fear is the mind-killer  |---------
42Kristian,

>Thank you for sharing that info.  I like the idea of the craft paper in
>between layers.
>
>How does the paper change the capacitance?
>
>Chuck

Chuck,

The kraft paper makes the cap mucch more rugged and less likely to break
down, helps distribute or wick the oil where it is needed and, in
general,
improves the life span of such caps.

The down side is a slight reduction in capacitance and an incerease in
dielectric losses.  Neither of which is even moderately significant.

Snuuber poly caps use this construction due to the harsh pulse action
they
must survive.  The best high energy discharge caps however lose the
paper
for max energy transfer.

Richard Hull, TCBOR